I am a writer. But I am also much more than that.
I have gathered extensive knowledge and experience over my years of studying, teaching, and creating. Now, as a writer, I am able to incorporate all the things I’ve gained into my written work. Below I have summarized a bit about my background in the areas in which I specialize: Linguistics and Teaching, the Non-Profit Sector, and Arts and Culture.
Linguistics and Teaching
- B.A – Linguistics, University of British Columbia
- M.Ed – Curriculum Studies, specializing in ESL Education, Concordia University
- Private Tutoring
- especially academic writing, ESL, pronunciation/accent reduction
- ESL Instructor at the post-secondary level
- all skill levels, from beginner ESL to English for Academic Purposes
- Immigrant settlement volunteer work, including ESL services
- ISSofBC, Project Literacy, Central Okanagan Local Immigration Partnership
- Writing features about local non-profits for Volinspire, an online volunteer platform
- Project Lead for an Applied Linguistics initiative
- Farashah Project: Arabic-English Communication Cards for the large wave of refugees arriving from Syria (2016). This involved coordination with many non-profit organizations who were serving these refugees.
- Communications work at United Way CSO
- opportunities for me to see how charities operate as well as meet, talk to, and collaborate with some of United Way’s many non-profit partners
Arts and Culture
- Music Theory Education and Classical Voice Training
- Experience performing
- musical theatre and opera productions, solo vocalist (classical and jazz)
- Involvement in the local poetry and music scene as well as the visual arts community (including exhibiting my multimedia artwork)
If you are interested in my work and would like to see my formal resume, including my education, work experience, and references, please contact me.